Refried Beans Recipe
8 ounces dried pinto beans (soak overnight in water)
1 qt. and 8 oz. ounces chicken stock
2 ounces bacon, small dice
2 ounces onion, small dice
½ clove garlic, minced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 ounces Monterey Jack or queso blanco, grated
1. Drain beans then place the beans and chicken stock in a large enough pot.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for approximately 1-1 ½ hours or until the beans are tender.
3. Drain the beans and reserve the beans and liquid if needed.
4. Sauté the bacon in a skillet or sauté pan until the fat is rendered. Add the onions and garlic, sweat quickly. Remove the bacon, onion and garlic from the pan.
5. Add the beans to the hot bacon grease and toss. Mash the cooked beans while continuing to cook over a medium heat.
6. Add the bacon, onion and garlic back to the mashed beans. Blend in enough of the reserved bean liquid to make the beans creamy.
7. Lower the heat and cook the beans until a crust forms on the bottom of the pan.
8. Serve hot with the crust up and sprinkled with cheese.[/private]
If you have questions or comments about this video or recipe please leave them below.