Let LearnToCook.com help you create this melt in your mouth peanut brittle! Chef Mark walks you through, step by step, in creating the perfect peanut brittle. This recipe is easy to make and will be a hit with everyone. This snack is perfect for any time of year!
Peanut Brittle Recipe:
Yields 5 lbs. of brittle
4 cups granulated sugar
1 pt. light corn syrup
8 oz. of water
4 oz. butter
5 cups raw peanuts or nuts of choice
1 tblsp. Baking soda
1. Prepare ingredients by coarsely chopping the nuts and measuring all items exactly. Be sure baking soda is sifted so that there are no large pieces.
2. For the brittle butter 2 cookies sheet trays/half sheet pans and reserve for the cooling of the brittle.
3. To make the brittle. In a saucepan place the sugar, corn syrup, water and butter. Bring to boil over medium high heat, stir regularly to avoid scorching. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pot.
4. Reduce heat to medium heat and continue boiling at a moderate steady rate, until mixture reaches 275oF. This might take about 35 minutes. Stir frequently.
5. At that temp stir in the nuts and continue to cook over low heat and stir regularly.
6. At this stage you want the nuts to reach 295oF. which is called the hard crack stage, might take another 15 minutes. But don’t over cook!
7. Now remove from the heat and remove the thermometer as well.
8. Sprinkle baking soda in and stir well and constantly.
9. Pour right away onto the buttered sheet pans. Use two forks to lift up and separate the mixture as it cools.
10. Cool thoroughly overnight.
11. Break up as desired store in a closed container