If the huge selection of vegetables in a grocery store has ever left you scratching your head, wondering “What do you do with that?” you’re not alone. But with a quick cooking lesson or two, you’ll not only learn how to prepare items like spaghetti squash, you’ll be one step closer to knowing exactly what to do with everything you see in the produce department. Spaghetti squash is a unique member of the squash family squash family, notable for the noodle-like texture its flesh takes on when cooked. Its mild and appealing flavor, ease of preparation and versatility make it an ideal vegetable to have in your cooking repertoire. Once you learn to cook this basic recipe, you’ll find that it’s a reliable side dish, great for occasions from holiday feasts to weeknight meals. In this video, Chef Mark shares the secrets behind selecting, preparing and cooking spaghetti squash. For more great cooking demonstration videos, subscribe to the LearnToCookOnline YouTube channel.
Spaghetti Squash Recipe
1 medium sized spaghetti squash
1-15oz can of tomato sauce
1-2 oz.feta cheese crumbles or queso fresco
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes or chili powder
1-2 tsp.pepitas (Mexican pumpkin seeds sold dried in small package)
1-2 cilantro sprigs
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Puncture squash with chef fork so that it goes into the center of the squash 4-5 times.
2) Bake squash for 45 minutes or until easily pierced with fork will signify that it is cooked.
3) Cut across the horizon and with tongs remove the seeds using a spoon too, and discard seeds.
4) Use tongs to remove all of the squash strands
5) Heat tomato sauce and add chili powder to hot red pepper flakes as desired.
6) Heat Squash in hot butter and season as desired.
7) To serve plate up squash and pour sauce over, garnish with pepita seeds and cheese, cilantro.
If you have questions or comments about this video or recipe please leave them below.