If you’re looking to please a crowd, but go easy on your wallet and your time, then try your hand at potato skins. This is a great snack or appetizer for any occasion, but they really make game days complete. Potato skins are a great way to give some variety without having to fill your grocery cart up with numerous ingredients. You can easily make different flavors of potato skins to suit all sorts of different palates. Have guests with gluten intolerance? No problem, potatoes are naturally gluten-free. Have vegetarian friends? Easy, there are plenty of toppings that are herbivore-friendly. Everyone will enjoy these fun, bite-sized snacks and they are easy to prepare. Get creative with the toppings and mix unexpected ingredients like artichoke, goat cheese, fresh herbs and garlic, for a gourmet take on a simple classic. In this video, Chef Mark will show you how to cook mouth-watering potato skins that will fly off the plate. For more great cooking demonstration videos, subscribe to the LearnToCookOnline YouTube channel.
Potato Skins Recipe
3-4, 70-80 count Idaho Russets
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp olive oil
Toppings of choice, cheese, bacon, grilled meats, olives, guacamole, salsa
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
2. Scrub potato well, pierce a few holes in each potato with a fork, then rub lightly with oil, and sprinkle with salt
3. Bake at 425 degrees until done. The skin should pull away slightly from the potato when done
4. When cooled, cut in half lengthwise and remove pulp until there is a thin layer of potato covering the skin
5. Brush again with a small amount of oil and placed them skin side up on a baking sheet. Increase oven temp to 475 degrees to roast them for about 15 minute
6. Next fill with your toppings of choice (shredded cheese, salsa, crumbled bacon, etc)
7. Just before service, return to the oven (apprx 3 min) until bacon is heated and crisp
8. Serve with additional toppings and condiments of choice
If you have questions or comments about this video or recipe please leave them below.