Learn how to make pumpkin soup with Chef Mark. If you have questions or comments about this video and pumpkin soup recipe please leave them below.
Pumpkin Soup Recipe:
3 lbs. fresh pumpkin cut in small sections, 4×4 inches approximate
1 small onion, small dice
1 tsp of curry powder( optional
1 large carrot, small dice
1 celery stick, small dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 qt. vegetable or chicken stock
1 oz. melted butter
Sea Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup fat free half and half/ cream (optional)
1. Cut pumpkin with chef knife ensuring safety while doing so.
2. Cut into small sections, remove seeds, and loose stringy material, cover with foil and roast in 350oF oven until easily pierced with fork. Pumpkin must be soft. Approximate cooking time 30 minutes. Occasionally add some water to assist in the cooking process.
3. Allow to cool enough to handle and remove meat from skin with paring knife.
4. Place a soup pot (large) on medium high, add butter and sauté the onion until tender then add curry powder if desired, cook until aroma is present.
5. Add in the remaining vegetables and cook until softened.
6. Reduce heat combine pumpkin and add stock ( or water)
Bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes or until all are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Remove from heat, allow to cook and puree in blender (or use an immersion blender) blend in a batches, being careful not to allow hot soup to spray out of top!
8. Re-heat the soup to 1650F and add the cream.
9. Can substitute soy or coconut milk